Tuesday 20 August 2013

Photographer, others arrested for vandalism


The suspected vandals

A suspected pipeline vandal, who was arrested by the Inspector General of Police Special Taskforce on Anti-pipeline Vandalism, has said he took to the illicit business because he wanted to make a minimum of N20, 000 per day.
The suspect, Precious Osuwo, who was arrested with nine others, said he was a photographer but decided to become a vandal to have funds which he could invest in his photography business.
The 24-year-old suspect said, “I am a photographer by vocation however, I was not making enough money and I needed money to buy equipment. I tried my best to meet some politicians in the state for assistance but I was refused access.
“A friend of mine told me that with the right amount of money, I would be able to go into pipeline vandalism. He told me to get the equipment I would need and I had done all the necessary things. I was told that I would be paid based on the number of kegs I could fill with petrol and my daily target was only N20, 000.
“I was arrested before I could even complete my first operation. I plead with the police that if released, I swear to God that I will never go back to vandalism. The next time I am arrested, I give policemen the permission to shoot me dead.”
Another suspect, Gbatomini Isekpe, said he came to Lagos from Ondo State solely for the purpose of pipeline vandalism.
The suspect, who claimed to be a palm wine tapper, said he did not know that pipeline vandalism was a crime.
He said, “I have seven children so you can imagine the kind of pressure I face. I was a palm wine tapper and an Ogogoro (local gin) seller in Ondo State. However, I arrived in Lagos last week so that I could go into this business because pipeline vandalism is not done in Ondo State.
“When I arrived in Lagos, I stayed with a friend in Ikorodu. I put all my savings together and decided to start pipeline vandalism at Elepete.
“On Sunday, I came to Elepete in a canoe with three others. I also came with detergent and my equipment but we were arrested by the police.”
A third suspect, Power Saikemefa, told PUNCH Metro that he was a lumberjack. He said he was felling trees on Saturday when he came in contact with a pipeline vandal.
He said he bought 50 big kegs of petrol and the cost of N1,500 each. He said he was arrested by the police while transporting the kegs.
“I am not a pipeline vandal. I only bought the products. I did not know that the fuel was stolen,” he said.
The taskforce commander, Friday Ibadin, said over 800 kegs were recovered from the suspects, adding that 66 of the kegs were filled with petrol.
Ibadin said the vandals usually came in through Arepo, Majidun or Konu area to Elepete where they vandalise and siphon petrol whenever petrol was being pumped.
He said, “Some of the suspects were arrested on Saturday while others were arrested on Sunday.  They were arrested shortly after vandalising a pipeline belonging to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.”

source: punch news

No comments:

Post a Comment